Re: [registrars] Deletes task force

  • To: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [registrars] Deletes task force
  • From: "Ross Wm. Rader" <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 23:00:13 -0500
  • Cc: "'Registrars Constituency'" <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 12/1/2003 10:36 PM Tim Ruiz noted that:

if the registries would just agree
to charge at the end of the grace period, keeping auto-renew in place,
wouldn't we still have the best of both worlds?

I think we would. At this point I propose the following;

This doesn't strike me as being an ICANN or constituency issue. As such, we should probably move the discussion elsewhere. I am in the process of drafting a letter to the registries that outlines our concerns and will solicit additional registrar signatories throughout this week. This letter will include an invitation to the registry operators that engage in this practice to participate in a teleconference at a to be announced time.

I think it is in our best interests to look at this as a customer/supplier issue and also be keenly cautious of the legal issues that may surround an action of this nature. I am specifically not suggesting that we form any sort of collective bargaining group or attempt to coerce the registries through some sort of organized boycott into adopting our viewpoint. I am simply proposing that we gather in the same room, allow them to hear our mutual concerns and specifically request that they return to us with a proposal that will provide my company, and presumably others, with more comfortable operating arrangements.

This is just off the top of my head and I'd be happy to modify the concept with input from others. I will forward a draft later tomorrow for review.

	-rwr

"In the modern world the intelligence of public opinion is the one indispensable condition for social progress."
	- Charles W. Eliot (1834 - 1926)