[registrars] unsanctioned whois concepts (long)

  • To: registrars@xxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [registrars] unsanctioned whois concepts (long)
  • From: Mark Jeftovic <markjr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 11:59:41 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Over the course of my stint as the second of the 2 registrar reps
to whois-sc I found myself toying with some unconventional
ideas about whois data and how to mitigate some of the issues
surrounding it.

The following is neither endorsed by whois-sc nor the RC, they are
just the thoughts I've come up with during this, my first experience
in the field of ICANN/GNSO collaborative work.

Here a couple of basic premises/opinions:

1) Ultimately, the data around a given Registrant belongs to the
Registrant. Anything that happens to Registrant data should do
so with that in mind.

2) Registrars bear the cost of collecting that data, maintaining it
and (along with some Registries) disseminating it.

The trouble now is port 43 is inherently mine-able, and the bulk whois
requirements force us to make Registrant data available en masse.

The complicating factors are how to protect Registrant privacy and still
maintain legitimate need-to-know contactability; and protect Registrars
from having to bear the costs & liabilities of disseminating that data
(including backlash).

My ideas essentially break down to:

- De-centralize the location of the records.
- Revising the Data Elements attached to those record

1. De-centralize the location of those records.

Why not push the stewardship of the data back to the ultimate owner?
The Registrant. Basically, the registrant could store their own
whois record in a well-known location on their own servers, similar
to a P3P policy (i.e. /w3c/whois.xml ), and the registrars maintain
publically accessible "stub" records which point them.

Doing that allows the registrant to assume some control over the
dissemination of their own data.

The Registrant and the Registrar should each have a copy of the
full record, modifications should be implemented concurrenltly on both
sides (a helper application, for example, could detect and flag a website
whose whois.xml is out of date with the Registrar/Registry's).

Those Registrants that can't or won't make their own whois records
available, the fallback can be to the Registrar (who may for example,
only release the record if the remote whois.xml is unavailable).

(Registrars should have access to any whois record, similar to the
internal Registrars-only Whois call up here in .CA land.)

This is conjunction with some extra fields below (i.e. proposed use)
allow the Whois data to function a bit more actively, again, somewhat
like P3P policies.

2. Revise the Data Elements attached to a record.

There are a few obvious fields which can be added to the Whois
records which enhance usable functionality of looking at a record.

Some additional data elements allow for more flexibility in controlling
the data set presented and to what end.

For example, a field called "proposed use" we may decide that "personal"
domain registrants are allowed to withold their phone, address and email
data from their published whois.xml records.

But a shadowy fraud site would not find this avenue useful for
enacting fraud anonymously because things like web browsers would
detect mismatches between the type of page one is on (a form asking
for a credit card number) and the "proposed use" listed in the published
whois.xml. Companies conducting ecommerce over the web would be best
to use a more suitable "proposed use" or "current use" value which
would have more comprehensive data requirements.

Other possible fields could be: serial number, to track revisions
to the data; abuse contact; whois reference, containing the pointer
to Registrant whois.xml; PGP keyid; User defined; etc.

Of course I don't have all the answers, but I just wanted to put this
idea "out there". I don't know what is going to happen with Whois or
whether I will have any involvement going forward. Its up to the RC
if they want to nominate me again for any of the task forces.

>From my experience working on the whois-sc thus far I can state that
I have utmost confidence in Tom Keller and that in any case he's
probably a great choice to keep carrying the ball.

Bruce Tonkin has been chairing the whois-sc thus far, I'm not sure
what his involvement will be going forward. Will he continue to chair
all 3 task forces? If so, he'll do a fine job, if not I would seriously
recommend him as an appointee if his time allows or he is not otherwise
conflicted by other appointments.

-mark

--
Mark Jeftovic <markjr@xxxxxxxxxxx>