[registrars] A brave new world with the Siamese twins separated -- Verisign and NetSol;-)

  • To: Registrars Constituency <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] A brave new world with the Siamese twins separated -- Verisign and NetSol;-)
  • From: "Robert F. Connelly" <rconnell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 05:29:21 -0700
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

At 05:42 PM 10/20/03 +1000, Bruce Tonkin wrote:
If wildcard records are allowed in a gtld, why should the registry have
a pre-emptive right to register them on their own behalf?

Dear Bruce: What makes me think that the registrY can register *anything* in it's own name? Doesn't it have to use an ICANN accredited registraR?

What with Network Solutions going off on it's own way as an ICANN Accredited RegistraR, what advantage would accrue to Verisign to register any wildcard with some register?

What am I missing, aren't we getting what we wanted at the ICANN meeting in Melbourne?

What about the WLS?  Will NetSol still be the registraR of choice?

Will other registraRs offer Verisign a better deal? Will Verisign increase their support of ICANN out of the WLS earnings? How will that affect the share of ICANN's budget allocated to registraRs.

A lot of old norms and assumptions will need to be re-evaluated.

Regards, BobC