RE: [registrars] FW: invitations to Monday's event on wildcards/finalizing

  • To: <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] FW: invitations to Monday's event on wildcards/finalizing
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:42:05 +1000
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Elana,

I do not want to participate in the panel, bu I will attend the event.

One question for the panel to consider.

If wildcard records are allowed in a gtld, why should the registry have
a pre-emptive right to register them on their own behalf?

In .au when we changed the policy allowing records that were previously
unavailable, a process was chosen to allocate those domains (the process
chosen was auction but there are other methods) on a fair and equal
basis.

Also (partly tongue-in-cheek) - are the wildcard records *.com and *.net
now in the Redemption Grace Period?  When will they be available for
re-registration?  I assume if Verisign does not reclaim them in the next
30 days, they should be available in the delete pool.

Regards,
Bruce