Re: [registrars] RE: Acceptable Delivery Method (Fourth Draft of GAINING registrar form for transfers)

  • To: Elana Broitman <ebroitman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [registrars] RE: Acceptable Delivery Method (Fourth Draft of GAINING registrar form for transfers)
  • From: Larry Erlich <erlich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 16:13:59 -0400
  • Cc: registrars@xxxxxxxx, Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Legally you are correct. But
I think it goes against basic business practice
to require a customer who you have an existing
relationship with to have to always fax something because it might
be needed after the fact for a dispute.

The only protection should be for the gaining registrar who may need to feel
confident that the customer won't say they didn't
approve of the transfer for some reason. If they trust the customer at
their word, they should be able to, at their own risk,
not require written backup.

This is really no different
then when you might call your favorite wholesaler
and say "Give me 3dz widgets and bill to the
credit card you have on file." It happens everyday
all over the country.  There is nothing to prevent the
"widget-orderer" from denying after the fact that
they placed the widget order. It is the word of one
person against the another if there is no written
backup. The way a large registrar
might want to design their system for these things,
because of the quality and training of their CS
staff, is not going to be the same as a small registrar.

Larry Erlich

Elana Broitman wrote:

> even in the case of an existing relationship, I think you'll need written proof if there is any dispute later.
> as for fax #, you don't need it in the whois - presumably the gaining registrar can get that directly from the registrant, as long as the registrant or admin c
>
> Elana Broitman
> Register.com
> 575 Eighth Avenue
> New York, NY 10018