Re: [registrars] Ross's Motion - Suggeseted Amendment

  • To: "Alice's Registry Help Desk" <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [registrars] Ross's Motion - Suggeseted Amendment
  • From: "Ross Wm. Rader" <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 17:10:15 -0400
  • Cc: Rob Hall <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Registrars Mail List <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 9/18/2003 3:24 PM Alice's Registry Help Desk noted that:
ross,
nice speach....

erm...thanks. I think.

how can we give the "community" a voice? we (registrars) are not the only community, though the customers of ours (registrants) certainly represent a larger subset than we do.

Registrars are part of the community, as are registrants. There are many elements to the community. But, giving the community a voice is not what is at issue here.

shal we endevor to give them a "voice?" Since ICANN has decided that its too dificult to allow domain registrants to participate in this process, I believe we should be their advocates (they are also our customers)

Different battle. I fully support a registrants rights to have a voice in the process, but they are not my customers, nor do I believe that we have any right to speak on their behalf unless we have specifically consulted with them and they have explicitly allowed us to speak for them.

I believe my proposal for using the whois to express a registrants view on a specific iss an excelent way to provide for "a community consultation."

Its one way of pursuing one option. There are other ways and other options - and not to burst your bubble, but this really isn't the issue at hand.

I'm more interested in what we, as registrars, are going to say about what Verisign is doing with wildcards in the .com and .net DNS.

	-rwr

"In the modern world the intelligence of public opinion is the one indispensable condition for social progress."
	- Charles W. Eliot (1834 - 1926)