RE: [registrars] Ross's Motion - Suggeseted Amendment

  • To: <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Rob Hall'" <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] Ross's Motion - Suggeseted Amendment
  • From: "tbarrett" <tbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 14:07:44 -0400
  • Cc: "'Registrars Mail List'" <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I would echo Rob's comments.

The broken policy process is the larger issue here.

I believe that, if introduced correctly, wildcards in a tld can deliver a
better user experience than what occurs today.  Frankly, there is no reason
why an ISP/Browser vendor such as AOL or MSN deserves this traffic anymore
than Verisign does.  There is no reason why the other tld's should be
prevented from doing this.  Although, if Neustar or Afilias wanted to do it,
they should do it sooner rather than later.

I also do not agree that Siteminder has undermined registry or registrar
competition.  In fact, if SiteFinder provided a randomized list of
registrars for visitors to choose from to register the unregistered domain,
then competition would be enhanced.

In this regard, SiteFinder would be completely different than WLS, which
will only benefit a few large registrars.

The other issues: broken spam programs and security issues, seem solvable
and less important.

Tom