[registrars] Accurate Transfer Data

  • To: <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] Accurate Transfer Data
  • From: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 05:39:42 -0500
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I would like to propose an informal portability agreement among
interested members of the RC, or any registrar for that matter.

Those who participate would agree to:

1. Exchange and whitelist IPs from which transfers queries are
performed.
2. Respond to queries from IPs on the whitelist with full whois data in
a consistent format.

The consistent format would not have to be consistent across registrars,
just a single consistent format from each registrar. The former would be
ideal, but we could certainly live with each registrar having their own
format for now, as long as it was consistent.

The whitelist would not have to allow unlimited queries, but at least a
volume equivalent to the typical number of transfer requests received
from a particular registrar.

Registrars would continue to be free to limit other queries as deemed
necessary to reduce attempts to mine data.

Go Daddy has already made similar arrangements with a number of
registrars. But given current concerns with data accuracy we believe it
is all of our best interests to pursue this more fully.

This is not intended to be the long term solution, but a short term one
that could be quickly implemented.

Regardless of how this idea is received here, any registrar interested
in working with Go Daddy in this way may contact me directly and we will
immediately comply as proposed above.

Tim