[registrars] RE: [council] ALAC statement on resolution of non-existing domain names

  • To: <jeff.neuman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] RE: [council] ALAC statement on resolution of non-existing domain names
  • From: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 04:15:36 -0500
  • Cc: <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jeff, these comments are in response to your response to Thomas Roessler
regarding the ALAC statement on resolution of non-existing domain names.
I would appreciate it if you would post this to the council list.

Jeff Neuman wrote:

>Also, when stating that "users are deprived the opportunity of
>choosing....".  Please provide examples of this?  What users do
>you know that "choose" how they get an error message back.  For
>example, do those who use MSN browser "choose" to get an MSN
>search redirect rather than an error message?  And what is to
>stop other browsers from doing the same thing.

I am one user who does choose how I get error messages back. I use IE
and the search feature in IE is easily turned off, giving me that
choice. Site Finder takes this choice away. And there are still a number
of other browsers that users may choose from today.

Jeff Neuman wrote:

>To state there are "grave technical concerns" is probably one of
>the greatest overstatements that I have heard in a long time.

The IAB has responded to a similar issue regarding VeriSign's
implementation of IDN. Their conclusion:

"...the system...contains significant DNS protocol errors, risks the
further development of secure DNS, and confuses the resolution
mechanisms of the DNS with application-based search systems."

That sounds pretty grave to me.

Full text of their response can be found at
http://www.iab.org/Documents/icann-vgrs-response.html

Jeff Neuman wrote:

>There are two sides to every coin.  Are you also examining the
>benefit to the common Internet user that may be looking for a
>place to go on the Internet and cannot find his or her way?

I don't think this is the real question. The question is whether it is
appropriate that VeriSign has removed the users' choice to consider this
a benefit or not.

Tim Ruiz
Vice President Domain Services
Go Daddy software, Inc.