Re: [registrars] Verisign ownes every name that does not exist - millions for free!

  • To: Jim Archer <jarcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [registrars] Verisign ownes every name that does not exist - millions for free!
  • From: Paul Goldstone <paulg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 21:01:21 -0400
  • Cc: registrars@xxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jim and all,

I don't believe that unresolved domain traffic belongs to Verisign, any more
than 404 file not found pages belong to them.  They own *.verisign.com, not
*.com

Besides, if they get this to pass, are they acting as Registry, Registrar,
both, or neither?  Only the Registry can capture unresolved traffic so it
must be the Registry.  If that's the case, they should only be permitted to
solicit the Registry and/or accredited Registrar services for com and net,
showing no favour to any one individual Registrar (such as Network
Solutions).  I'm not sure if that's their intention:

http://www.crmassist.com/news/dispnews.asp?i=100935&t=99
"VeriSign spokesman Brian O'Shaughnessy confirmed that the company was
testing a system to redirect bad Internet addresses to its own search page,
but he said no final decision has been made on whether to implement such a
program."

Never a dull day...

Paul Goldstone
Domain-it!, Inc.