Re: [registrars] Verisign ownes every name that does not exist - millions for free!

Hi Paul...

My guess is that their intent is primarily to get paid for clicks and such. At one time, I had a customer who used to register "typo" domains. We are all familiar with that concept, but for those reading this who are not, he might register something like wwwIbm.com or wwwSunmicrosystems.com and so on. Many companies would threaten to sue him and send him cease orders and such, usually based upon trademark infringement claims. I wonder if these same companies are going to be any happier if Verisign is doing it?

Also, it seems that if a name resolves, then it should be registered. Or, if it resolves, then it is registered. Or maybe it is kind of registered. Half registered? In this case, it is registered with no registrar, no whois data and no one paying for it.

I do know that if we delete too many names during the 5 day grace period that follows registration, we get a nasty note from Verisign telling us we are not supposed to do that so much. So they can't really say that the name is instantly registered then deleted each time it resolves.

As you said, never a dull day...

Jim