Re: [ga] RIPE NCC Awarded Special Status from United Nations

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] RIPE NCC Awarded Special Status from United Nations
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 06:44:32 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So I read this press release and I have trouble reconciling who RIPE is, with doing this work.
  I did not catch how they bid on the award. And I cannot tell if they get paid. Note there is no "safe harbor" equivalent at the end of the release.
  Reading who their members are I wonder;

  About the RIPE NCC:
The RIPE NCC is an independent, not-for-profit membership organisation that supports the infrastructure of the Internet through technical coordination in its service region. The most prominent activity of the RIPE NCC is to act as a Regional Internet Registry (RIR) providing global Internet resources and related services (IPv4, IPv6 and AS Number resources) to members in the RIPE NCC service region. The membership consists mainly of Internet Service Providers (ISPs), telecommunication organisations, governments and regulators, academic institutions and large corporations located in Europe, the Middle East and parts of Central Asia.

Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  [excerpt]

The RIPE NCC has been awarded Special Consultative
Status by the Economic and Social Council of the
United Nations.

With this consultative status, the RIPE NCC can
designate official representatives to help advise the
United Nations on issues related to Internet number
resource management and the technical coordination of
the Internet.

http://ripe.net/news/ngo.html

http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/