[ga] [Fwd: [ PFIR ] Call For Search Engine Issues, Complaints, Concerns]

  • To: General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] [Fwd: [ PFIR ] Call For Search Engine Issues, Complaints, Concerns]
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 21:30:54 -0700
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All, especially Kim Davies,

Enjoy and consider.

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827

--- Begin Message ---
           Call For Search Engine Issues, Complaints, Concerns

           (Please distribute widely as you feel appropriate)

              http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000266.html

Greetings.  As part of my continuing research and an upcoming white
paper focusing on policy and related technical issues associated
with search engines and their impacts, I'd very much appreciate any
examples of relevant specific situations, concerns, and any other
positive or negative experiences with search engine operations and
support personnel, with a particular emphasis on (but not limited to)
the following categories:

   -- Attempts to remove or deemphasize from search engine listings
      any data perceived to promote Web sites containing seriously
      incorrect, defamatory, misleading, privacy-invasive, or
      otherwise highly damaging or problematic materials

   -- Search engine issues or problems related to "public record"
      (e.g. government) data, particularly with negative impacts on
      privacy or individuals' personal lives

   -- Issues of "obsolete" or superseded data being promoted by
      search engine listings, without any indication that such
      data is no longer current and/or correct

   -- Any problems related to search engine caches exacerbating
      the sorts of issues listed above or other related problems

   -- And so on ...

I am particularly interested in any experiences you may have had
while attempting to contact search engine personnel (either through
provided Web forms or other means) with concerns or problems, and
the dispositions of those communications.

For this round, I am specifically *not* soliciting issues related
to "Search Engine Optimization" (SEO) concerns (e.g., "How come
my Web site always ranks lower than that other Web site on Google?")

For any sagas you relate to me, please be as specific as possible
(within whatever bounds that you feel comfortable) -- but at the very
least please identify the particular search engine of concern and the
approximate time period of the issue.  Unless you specify otherwise,
I will assume that I may note the issue (on an anonymous basis) in
my reports on this subject.  If you'd prefer that I don't reference
your issue in any form, or if you don't mind being quoted
non-anonymously for attribution, please let me know.

Please send any information that you can provide as soon as possible to:

      search@xxxxxxxx

For some recent background on the issues of concern, please see:

Search Engine Dispute Notifications: Request For Comments
http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000253.html

Extending Google Blacklists for Dispute Resolutions
http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000254.html

A Most Remarkable Google Page: Toward Search Dispute Resolutions
http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000255.html

Benefits and Risks in Google's Public Records Access Project
http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000228.html

Thanks very much!

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren@xxxxxxxxxx or lauren@xxxxxxxx
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
   - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com