[ga] Censorship

  • To: GA <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Censorship
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 12:23:26 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

When one party is apprehensive to speak their mind as a result of a conduct of abusive writing by another, it is censorship. When it occurs the whole community loses.

  Two things must then happen, the conduct must be stopped, and the forum must be made safe again.

  I am not talking of the mere braggadocios on the one hand and the extremely timid on the other. I am not talking of responses and I am not talking of those folks that are clearly public figures. I am speaking of the clear course of conduct of attacking others with the clear result being restraint of speech. There are also sicknesses that cause this to occur so we must be careful to look at the writing which becomes conduct which results in prior restraint.

  Of course we must always be sympathetic to those who cannot control their writing and we must be careful to only wield sanctions in repetitive cases.

  In case any are confused, my recent musing is not for any list changes per se. Merely meant as provocative, partially hoping to catch my Holiday brethren in a moment of respite.

  Eric