Re: [ga] VeriSign & Korean IDN.com issue

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] VeriSign & Korean IDN.com issue
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 22:00:20 -0700
  • Cc: Chuck Gomes <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny and all,

  First too many CC's here Danny my boy. >:)  So I trimed
them again for you.  So if you would be so considerate,
practice what you preach of don't preach it.  >:)

  Second, ICANN is arguably somewhat responsible here,
but at what level of granularity?  However I would want/like
to hear from Chuck on this because of the IE 7 implications.
Chuck?

Danny Younger wrote:

> Karl,
>
> I think I'll wait until all the facts are at hand
> before offering a pronouncement as to whether this is
> an ICANN issue...
>
> my first impression, however, is that the ICANN
> registry that launched the IDN testbed service has
> taken an unannounced action that has resulted in the
> destabilization of normative internet services in an
> entire country.
>
> The Affirmation of Responsibilities in the Joint
> Project Agreement states:
>
> TLD Management: ICANN shall maintain and build on
> processes to ensure that competition, consumer
> interests, and Internet DNS stability and security
> issues are identified and considered in TLD management
> decisions, including the consideration and
> implementation of new TLDs and the introduction of
> IDNs.
>
> If ICANN, through the above, has tacitly agreed to
> accept IDN TLD management responsibilities, then we
> now have "an ICANN issue".
>
> --- Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Jaeyoun Kim wrote:
> >
> > > It seems that Verisign had no consideration of
> > Korean IDN .com domain
> > > name registrants and users. There must be a good
> > reason why Verisign
> > > shut down the service.
> >
> > I tend to agree with Stephane - this was an external
> > service that is
> > outside the ICANN system.
> >
> > Verisign, as a private body, is free to add/shed any
> > product offering
> > except as constrained by law or contract.
> >
> > I might add that the root server operators have a
> > similar degree of
> > freedom - we are all relying on their voluntary,
> > uncompensated
> > continuation of the status quo.
> >
> > The answer, it seems, could simply be money - If so
> > many domain name
> > providers and users in Korea are depending on the
> > (now gone) Verisign
> > service, perhaps they ought to cumulate their funds
> > and offer to pay
> > Verisign to resume the service.
> >
> > This is not an ICANN issue.
> >
> >               --karl--

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827