Re: [ga] VeriSign & Korean IDN.com issue

  • To: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jaeyoun Kim <jaeyounkim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] VeriSign & Korean IDN.com issue
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 11:47:54 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Karl,

I think I'll wait until all the facts are at hand
before offering a pronouncement as to whether this is
an ICANN issue...

my first impression, however, is that the ICANN
registry that launched the IDN testbed service has
taken an unannounced action that has resulted in the
destabilization of normative internet services in an
entire country.

The Affirmation of Responsibilities in the Joint
Project Agreement states:

TLD Management: ICANN shall maintain and build on
processes to ensure that competition, consumer
interests, and Internet DNS stability and security
issues are identified and considered in TLD management
decisions, including the consideration and
implementation of new TLDs and the introduction of
IDNs.

If ICANN, through the above, has tacitly agreed to
accept IDN TLD management responsibilities, then we
now have "an ICANN issue".