Re: [ga] sTLD Premium Names

Karl Auerbach wrote:
Danny Younger wrote:
On, Tuesday, 19th December 2006, the Executive
Committee of the Board of Directors of The Travel
Partnership Corporation approved the following
program...

This isn't mission creep; it's mission leap.

I misread. I thought it was *ICANN's* executive committee, a body that I have long distrusted, not TPC's.

But this puts ICANN into a "nice" quandry.

If, ICANN sits in approval of this matter, which is clearly a pure business issue, then ICANN is saying, once again, to the world that ICANN is a body of business and economic regulation, a social engineer.

But ICANN has constructed a byzantine web of contracts that require it to evaluate the minutiae of business operations of those few upon whom ICANN has endowed the TLD gift.

ICANN ought to open the door to a hundred thousand new TLDs and let .travel fall on its face or survive according to its own lights.

Certainly, after the stoppage of the second largest internet phone company, ICANN's claim that it must be taken as the the angelically appointed guardian of internet stability is a claim that must be taken with some skepticism.

		--karl--