Re: [OT] RE: [ga] Aviation languages

  • To: Debbie Garside <debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [OT] RE: [ga] Aviation languages
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 00:31:08 -0700
  • Cc: roberto@xxxxxxxxx, "'Jaap Akkerhuis'" <jaap@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Debbie, Roberto and all,

  I have noticed no one has mentioned Chinese languages/dialects
as being a concern.  I can't help but wonder why as 2/5ths of
the worlds population are Chinese and in the IT sector of the
global economy is one of the fastest growing, it would seem logical
and very practical for ICANN to translate all its documentation
to at least the two dominant dialects of Chinese.  So my concern
regarding French is waning significantly further.

  Further still I am also wondering why Portuguese form
my Brazilian friends is also not being mentioned, as Brazil is
an economic power house in the Americas, and there are
far more Portuguese speakers in the Americas than French
speakers.

Debbie Garside wrote:

> Roberto wrote:
>
> > My worry is that, since we are unable (economically) to
> > guarantee translations in Inuit or Navajo, we conclude that
> > we don't do even French.
>
> Maybe some rules need to be defined.  It strikes me that there are two ways
> to do this (there may be more but it is late here :-)).  The first is to
> adopt a UN/ISO stance and choose the languages that ICANN will translate to
> e.g English/French/Russian within ISO.  The second is to define the
> percentage of the target population that speak a language as mother tongue
> in order for documents to be translated into that language - e.g. over 20%
> of target market (French is mother tongue of approx. 23% in Canada - not
> sure what percentage for NA as a whole).
>
> Economically, I would go for the first option.  With my marketing hat on,
> the second.  Linguistically, I would translate to all - but that is not
> practical.
>
> As ICANN works with regions it makes sense for language "groups" to be
> defined for those regions - which brings us full circle to where started ;-)
>
> Best
>
> Debbie

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827