RE: [OT] RE: [ga] Aviation languages

  • To: <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Jaap Akkerhuis'" <jaap@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [OT] RE: [ga] Aviation languages
  • From: "Debbie Garside" <debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 23:23:00 +0100
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Roberto wrote:

> My worry is that, since we are unable (economically) to
> guarantee translations in Inuit or Navajo, we conclude that
> we don't do even French.

Maybe some rules need to be defined.  It strikes me that there are two ways
to do this (there may be more but it is late here :-)).  The first is to
adopt a UN/ISO stance and choose the languages that ICANN will translate to
e.g English/French/Russian within ISO.  The second is to define the
percentage of the target population that speak a language as mother tongue
in order for documents to be translated into that language - e.g. over 20%
of target market (French is mother tongue of approx. 23% in Canada - not
sure what percentage for NA as a whole).

Economically, I would go for the first option.  With my marketing hat on,
the second.  Linguistically, I would translate to all - but that is not
practical.

As ICANN works with regions it makes sense for language "groups" to be
defined for those regions - which brings us full circle to where started ;-)

Best

Debbie