RE: [OT] RE: [ga] Aviation languages

  • To: "'Debbie Garside'" <debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Jaap Akkerhuis'" <jaap@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [OT] RE: [ga] Aviation languages
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 00:03:19 +0200
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Debbie Garside wrote:

> Bringing the topic of conversation back in line with the
> objectives of this forum, should we translate the NARALO MoU
> into Inuit/Inuktitut* and Cree** and other native languages?
> Answer, yes we should.  Does it make economic sense?  Answer,
> sadly no.  Very often, and certainly in this case, the
> translation of documents is about getting information to the
> most people possible and this does not mean translating into
> languages that represent the mother tongue of less than 1% of
> the population albeit 100% of the indigenous population;
> especially where these people have knowledge of a second
> language - in this case English and French.  Sad but true.

This is a set of good points.
However, may I remind that this thread started about having the NARALO
documents available in English and French.
My worry is that, since we are unable (economically) to guarantee
translations in Inuit or Navajo, we conclude that we don't do even French.

Cheers,
Roberto