RE: [ga] Aviation languages

  • To: JFC Morfin <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Jaap Akkerhuis'" <jaap@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Aviation languages
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 20:55:42 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I do not think a topic applying to the languages we use to communicate transnationally is ever out of line for the GA. At the moment we are speaking of common languages and multilingual applications thereof. But as Jefsey pointed out in an earlier post, the languages can be diplomatic, technical, political, hierarchtical, politically correct or limiting thereof.

  The more we speak of languages the more we learn about the people using them. I think that we all can agree that greater communication provides for better understanding.
  (this is not to intimate that too much talking is what I am talking about)

  I have always liked the glossary for first time visitors to ICANN http://www.icann.org/general/glossary.htm

  Eric

JFC Morfin <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  At 23:36 16/07/2007, Roberto Gaetano wrote:
> It is. And there is a protocol to switch to another languages
> > in case the parties desire.
> > For more details, google for "aviation languages" and similar terms.

Long ago I known an Hilton Hotel inspector. He started his
inspections in speaking Breton at the reception. He noted the time
they took to discover which language it was, and finding an interpreter.

Now, I know that an ICANN meeting has more than one million dollar as
a budget, I wander why there would be a problem with languages. There
is a volunteer translators force which participates to many
IGF/UNESCO, etc. meeting (http://icvolunteers.org/) which would be
happy to help at expense cost.
jfc