[OT] RE: [ga] Aviation languages

  • To: <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Jaap Akkerhuis'" <jaap@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [OT] RE: [ga] Aviation languages
  • From: "Debbie Garside" <debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 13:01:19 +0100
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Language is important to the people that speak it.  It is part of their
cultural heritage.  Whilst English is recognised as a lingua franca around
the world it is important that policies are put into place to protect
"small" languages.  According to a well known linguist, 3000 of the recorded
6-7,000 languages (Ethnologue/ISO 639-3 lists 7,200) currently alive will
die within 100 years.
http://www.crystalreference.com/DC_articles/Langdeath19.pdf

Who cares?  Not governments that's for sure because there are very little or
no funds for language documentation or language revival.  Not industry
because it doesn't make economic sense -
http://www.native-languages.org/linguistics.htm#tree.  I have tried for 6
years to get people interested enough to fund language documentation -it is
a thankless task (one of my many). The only people interested are linguists
and the speakers themselves.

Bringing the topic of conversation back in line with the objectives of this
forum, should we translate the NARALO MoU into Inuit/Inuktitut* and Cree**
and other native languages?  Answer, yes we should.  Does it make economic
sense?  Answer, sadly no.  Very often, and certainly in this case, the
translation of documents is about getting information to the most people
possible and this does not mean translating into languages that represent
the mother tongue of less than 1% of the population albeit 100% of the
indigenous population; especially where these people have knowledge of a
second language - in this case English and French.  Sad but true.

Best

Debbie
PS Anyone interested in language documentation or language
protection/revival may make large donations to The World Language
Documentation Centre www.thewldc.org I happen to be CEO :-)

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuit_language
**http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cree_language