Re: [ga] WIPO calls for "oversight"

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] WIPO calls for "oversight"
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 02:55:24 -0700
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, francis gurry <francis.gurry@xxxxxxxx>, Paul Twomey <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, Suszanne Sene <ssene@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, wendy seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny and all,

  I have to agree with Mr. Gurry.  Active and constant oversight
of Registrars and, IMHO Registries has always been necessary.
I along with a few others such as Dr. Baptista and Danny here,
have been harping for such oversight by ICANN for a number
of YEARS now.  And indeed also I believe myself that
DOC/NTIA is doing their oversight as well of ICANN.

  In fairness to the Registrars and Registries, they should
not be involved in policing TM concerns as that is the
legal responsibility of the Trade Mark owner/holder.
Nor should ICANN be involved in policing TM's, but
DOC/NTIA along with the USPTO should, as that
is their job and where part of my tax dollars pay for.

I for one, would appreciate it if my public servants
do more work than spend time political pontificating
and discussing the finer points of political correct
speech.

Danny Younger wrote:

> "We observe that an increasing number of registrars
> display behavior that frustrates the intended
> functioning of the UDRP.  Whether or not motivated by
> links to registrants, such behavior includes
> non-compliant registration provisions, the failure to
> provide complete or correct registration information,
> simple uncontactability, 'cyberflight'-related or
> other modifications to registrant data after a
> complaint is filed, and failure to properly implement
> transfer decisions.  WIPO has informed ICANN of many
> such instances and will shortly provide a fuller
> overview of these practices, which call for
> independent and active oversight."
>
> http://www.icann.org/correspondence/gurry-to-twomey-04jul07.pdf

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827