Re: [ga] List Rules

Hi,

I would like to point out that as stated in Section XX.5.1 of the ICANN bylaws, there is no longer a DNSO and that it has been completely superseded by the GNSO.

1. The Domain Name Supporting Organization shall cease operations upon the adoption of this Transition Article, except that the Names Council of the Domain Name Supporting Organization may act for the limited purpose of authorizing the transfer of any funds it has collected to the benefit of the Generic Names Supporting Organization.

That is, the rules in http://www.dnso.org/ defining the General Assembly (GA) have been completely superseded by the latest ICANN by- laws, which can be found at: http://www.icann.org/general/bylaws.htm.

The latest by-laws do not include a charter for the GA, nor do they include any articles making the costs of GA meetings, the responsibility of the GNSO. The GSNO responsibilities extend only to the maintenance of the mailing lists as indicated in Section XX.5.9:

9. Upon the adoption of this Transition Article, and until further action by the ICANN Board, the GNSO Council shall assume responsibility for the DNSO General Assembly e-mail announcement and discussion lists.

and are related to the responsibilities of the GSNO council as defined in X.3.4

... In addition, the GNSO Council is responsible for managing open forums, in the form of mailing lists or otherwise, for the participation of all who are willing to contribute to the work of the GNSO; such forums shall be appropriately moderated to ensure maximum focus on the business of the GNSO and to minimize non- substantive and abusive postings.

in so far as the GA defines itself as a forum willing to contribute to the work of the GSNO.

Specifically, in terms of the posted draft RULES OF ORDER AND PARTICIPATION, the quote included from http://www.dnso.org/ should be marked as a historical reference, and should be quoted directly with reference to the DNSO and not the GNSO.

I do, however, believe that it is reasonable in reference to the email lists and to forward looking statements the GA may wish to make, to reference the GNSO instead of the DNSO.

thanks
a.