Re: [ga] A blast from the past ... We are all engaged in activities relating to, or in support of, official US Government business.

  • To: ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] A blast from the past ... We are all engaged in activities relating to, or in support of, official US Government business.
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 21:34:23 -0700
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dr. Joe and all,

  Excellent here.  It is amazing how history so often times repeats
itself if ignored, forgotten, denied, or revised to fit someone's or
some org's political goals.  Lies and dam lies, liars and dam liars,
fools and dam fools often times care less about their actions effect
others, but are mostly interested in how, and how much those actions
enrich themselves and their cronies/friends.

Joe Baptista wrote:

> We all remember Mark Crispin of the icann famed crispy crocket twins who
> said "We are all engaged in activities relating to, or in support of,
> official US Government business."  Thats icann in a nutshell.  Here is a
> blast from the past - its an email message using the old arpanet email
> rules.  Enjoy. Joe
>
> 10-MAY-78 23:20:30-PDT,3281;000000000001
> Date: 7 May 1978 2057-PDT
> From: MRC at SU-AI (Mark Crispin)
> Subject: MSGGROUP# 696  in reply to Jake's message about advertising
> To:   MsgGroup at USC-ISI
> Redistributed-To: [ISI]<MsgGroup>Mailing.List;154:
> Redistributed-By: STEFFERUD (connected to MSGGROUP)
> Redistributed-Date:  8 MAY 1978
>
> I agree with Jake about suppressing advertising for many of the same
> reasons as I disagreed with suppressing subjective messages about
> QUASAR. The ARPAnet is not, as Jake pointed out, a public resource; it
> is available to pretty much a select group of people (high school kids
> regardless!). We are all engaged in activities relating to, or in
> support of, official US Government business. ARPAnet mail therefore is
> more of an "interoffice memo" sort of thing than a trade journal, not
> intended for public distribution although not "top secret" either.
>
> Even MsgGroup is in this class; however inappropriate QUASAR is to
> MsgGroup's intent (and it was inappropriate) I feel that any censorship
> can only lead to worse things later on. I am sure that DCA realizes this
> also; otherwise the ARPAnet would have been curbed long ago. Whether or
> not QUASAR is a fake is a valid topic to be discussed among the computer
> science community via the ARPAnet; although it is inappropriate for
> MsgGroup. If there is sufficient interest, another group should be
> created whose purpose and interests embrace this issue.
>
> I don't see any place for advertising on the ARPAnet, however; certainly
> not the bulk advertising of that DEC message. From the address list, it
> seems clear to me that the people it was sent to were the Californians
> listed in the last ARPAnet directory. This was a clear and flagrant
> abuse of the directory!
>
> I am not sure as to how far this should be carried though. I would not
> mind hearing from DEC about their new products via ARPAnet mail, but I
> would expect considerably more technical content and considerably less
> of a sales pitch. Where is the line to be drawn between this sort of
> thing (if it is to be allowed at all) and advertising? Another point
> Jake mentioned which concerns me is that of employment hunting (by
> employee or employer). Is that to be taken to mean that a person cannot
> establish contacts at another ARPAnet site and poke around about a
> possible position there? Is this really unfair to non-ARPAnet people?
> Allow me to point out that at times a job is created in order to have a
> particular person on the staff, and if that person is unavailable, the
> job won't exist.

> [...]

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827