Re: [ga] NCUC Reform Proposal

At 01:41 a.m. 2/07/2007, Danny Younger wrote:
Milton Mueller has put forward a "GNSO Improvements"
Reform Proposal -- see the document attached to the
bottom of this URL:
http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0707&L=ncuc-discuss&T=0&F=&S=&P=46

Danny,

I appreciate the spirit in which this document has been written and agree with many of the recommendations.
The only thing that troubles me is that individuals who have a stake in Domain name policy would have to make a choice between being 100% non-commercial or 100% business. Life is not like that.

Can registrants not remain free from being thus classified?

Would such a split setup not invite a future division of domain names themselves into commercial and non-commercial, with different applicable policies?

If I look at the mix of domains I own, I find it very difficult to agree with Milton's thesis that "Individuals" per se have no distinctive interests in domain name policy.

For all my domains, commercial or not, I feel the same about any proposed policy for them.

What starts as a hobby-site can become popular and develop into something with commercial potential.
(I remember the beginnings of Anandtech)
Should a registrant then be forced to switch to the other constituency?

OTOH, small companies run by individuals who register the domain in their own name have much more in common with individuals than with the interests that are represented by the BC. Individuals , even if they would be tolerated there, can never hope to match the resources of big corporates and they would be doomed to irrelevance in the BC.

-joop-