Re: [ga] Public Comments Sought on GNSO Improvements

  • To: "Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M." <roddixon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Public Comments Sought on GNSO Improvements
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:54:47 -0700
  • Cc: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, Joop Teernstra <terastra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rod and all,

  A good idea, maybe.  With 4 out of 20+ normally active
GA participants is hardly even "rough consensus" however.

  We really need to get the GA re-established if ANY kind
of  "consensus" will be recognized.

Next would be a users constituency, and at the same time
a Registrants constituency.

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. wrote:

>   I think drafting a petition to self-organize an "Individual's
> Constituency" is a good idea given some of the content of the BGC WG
> working draft document.  It appears that at least 4 people on this
> list have affirmed that a petition is a good idea; that probably is
> enough of a "rough consensus" of active participants to get started.
> Yes?
>
> Rod
>

> Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M.
> roddixon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> On Jun 20, 2007, at 9:02 AM, Danny Younger wrote:
>
> > Joop,
> >
> > In my estimation the Board Governance Committee
> > doesn't have the balls to instigate meaningful reform.
> >
> > They sat on the LSE Report for a full year without
> > taking any action and have now released an ICANN Staff
> > document (written with the assistance of Miriam
> > Sapiro) that documents their ongoing lassitude by
> > posing pointless "questions" at a time when
> > answers/leadership should instead have been
> > forthcoming.
> >
> > It is clear to me that the BGC has only a very few
> > consensus points:
> >
> > (1)  Unlike the PSO, they can't get rid of the GNSO.
> > (2)  They won't do anything until Vint formally
> > retires.
> > (3)  They recognize the need for additional
> > constituencies but haven't yet determined exactly
> > which arguments they will put forward to once more
> > prevent the formation of an individuals constituency
> > (as they believe that such a constituency will serve
> > to aggregate those known for their vitriolic invective
> > against the Board).
> > (4)  They understand that the GNSO Policy Development
> > process sucks and they're tired of hearing the same
> > old hackneyed phrases from a sorry set of warhorses
> > that should have been put out to pasture years ago,
> > but they still don't have a plan to deal with the
> > situation.
> >
> > I further believe that we can expect Vittorio to again
> > come up with a wide range of ridiculous ideas that
> > once more will engender no community-wide buy-in that
> > will be pitched to us in the weeks ahead.
> >
> > What is missing in the whole equation is the
> > following:
> >
> > When the RegisterFly debacle unfolded and Paul Twomey
> > publicly called for necessary revisions to the RAA as
> > a proper way forward, who stood up and defended the
> > rights of the registrant community?  Not one single
> > constituency in the GNSO asked for an Issues Report
> > (even though they all understand that the RAA can only
> > be changed on the basis of Consensus Policy
> > agreements).  Not one single RALO discussed policy
> > changes that would better serve the registrant
> > interest.  Neither did the ALAC itself call for an
> > Issues Report.
> >
> > The only people that stood up for the impacted
> > community were Paul Twomey and his staff, and members
> > of this GA list.
> >
> > I agree that a constituency needs to be formed so that
> [...]

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827