Re: [ga] Cultural diversity and IDN

  • To: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Cultural diversity and IDN
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 20:22:27 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: GA <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No one is going to tell you that you must heighten your awareness of differing cultures.
  People are as free as they can be to seek out ignorance. In order to be more aware of differing communities position on what is and is not private you may do well to broaden your horizons. English may well be the accepted international language but understanding other languages to a higher level only increases the credibility and capability of the speaker.

  Foreign language posts are welcome throughout ICANN and most assuredly here. Although I am not sure how effective they would be. I still have a bit of difficulty with Texan;-}

  Eric

Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Dr. Dierker and all,

Lets also try to remember that Cultural diversity is not ONLY
related to IDN's. My take on a individual level is Cultural diversity
in the scope of the GA and ICANN is a matter of individual willingness
to actively participate understanding that english is the international
language
of recognition and use.

Hugh Dierker wrote:

> I have participated on WGs regarding outreach and multilingualism
> within this venue. Nothing is more rewarding than increasing
> participation and inclusiveness within the internet community. My work
> brings me in close contact with Vietnam and Mexico. My roots keep me
> in close relations with Native Americans. I never quite learned French
> even though I lived, studied, competed and worked there in the 70s.
>
> We need three ambassadors at this point. One to handle
> archives/library and lists. (To promote integrity make information
> more readily available and link to resources) One to handle Privacy.
> (there are plenty of areas where IP interests and business interests
> are represented but vey few for the individual and solo registrant;
> privacy to often takes the hit) And one to handle IDN multicultural
> issues. (Our own outreach and broad participation needs to be
> enhanced, for the sake of the list and also for diversity in general)
>
> What I am talking about is empowering some people to speak to
> particular issue and be advocates therefor. While it seems simple
> enough, maintaining a one track mind in certain circumstances may be
> difficult. The positions will be as much or as little as one makes of
> them.
>
> Volunteers?
>
> Eric

Abraham Lincoln

United States v. Carroll Towing (159 F.2d 169 [2d Cir. 1947]
IDNS. div. of Information Network Eng. INEG. INC.
ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.