Re: [ga] Chair election dates

  • To: roddixon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Chair election dates
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 11:52:24 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rod,

  I just looked for a formal way to contact the GNSO directly on this issue. (first we must have someone authorized to speak on our behalf ;-{  )  But I notice here that they are on full notice of our activities. http://gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/  Also Glen as secretariat monitors this list and to the best of my knowledge members there are also members here to the majority.

  There has been no formal or informal notice to us to cease and disist.
  I find no restrictions upon us here; http://gnso.icann.org/council/new-procedures.shtml

  My reading of the by-laws would be read to say that the GNSO MUST maintain this list. And says nothing as to our self organization. And I am well qualified to interpret corporate by-laws and the plain meaning rule.

  With all that said it would be fantastic if we could get an endorsement from anyone in the GNSO. But I think that will have to be after we have a chairman to speak for us.

  Eric

roddixon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
  I'll second the motion with the condition that the GA membership has not
already approved of the 6 month term that Joop (Hello Joop!) referred to.

As a follow on to the other question I raised, I would like to call
attention section 5.9 of the ICANN by-laws (Feb 2006 version). I am far
from an expert on corporate by-laws, but it appears that the GNSO council
has some delegated authority over the GA list. It might help provide
support for this current effort to self-organize if a council member or
ICANN board member offered support for this effort. It may be the case
that the election of a chair (and any action connected to it) could be
deemed invalid, if the GNSO is not supportive. Thoughts anyone?

Rod

TV dinner still cooling?