Re: [ga] ICANN request to Registerfly - Notice of Audit and Notice to Submit Data Escrow

Here's an excerpt from a press release issued by ICANN:
http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-02mar07.htm

In addition to this legal action, ICANN today convened a telephone
conference among those needed to implement a plan that will help cease
unintended deletions. The participants were registries holding RegisterFly
names: Afilias (.info), NeuStar (.biz), VeriSign (.com, .net), RegisterFly
backend services provider Tucows and eNom (for which RegisterFly was a
reseller) as well as representatives of RegisterFly.

The Registries involved have agreed to move any RegisterFly names in
Redemption Grace Period* status into Server-Delete-Prohibited status. This
will prevent them from being deleted from the registry and becoming
available for re-registration by others. ICANN commends and encourages this
example of cooperation to protect registrant data.

In our opinion, although the plan to move Registerfly's expired domains to
REGISTRY-HOLD is in the right direction, it still falls short of what need
to be done. Registrants who have paid for timely renewals will still be
penalized. REGISTRY-HOLD will prevent the domains from resolving, in effect
preventing registrants from conducting any business (or other purpose)
though their domains. It is possible that the effects of extended periods of
REGISTRY-HOLD could be almost as harmful as if the domains were actually
deleted.

Q1: What took ICANN so long to recognize that something needed to be done to
protect registrants from these unintended deletions? In our opinion, ICANN's
actions over the last couple of weeks appears to be nothing more than a
little CYA.
Q2: Why is PIR noticeably absent from the above list of registries willing
to help?

Sincerely,
Ted
Prophet Partners Inc.