[ga] Ticketless

  • To: ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Ticketless
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 09:21:31 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Should the election for co-chairs be on a ticket? I think not. 1st and 2ND place vote getter's or by consensus would be optimum. The main reason I say this is that I think we will get the most divergent of view chairs, if we choose them this way. (i do not worry of them getting along and working together - as, if they are elected from here, the generally assembled, folks would not elect someone who could not be counted on to act appropriately)

  I think it important to keep in mind we are a General Assembly and we should behave like one with great debate and reasonable striving for consensus. While I have only been to a couple physical meetings of the GA, prior to cessation of such endeavors, I found the assembly to be very well run. We must honor the diversity of membership and when need be champion that character of the GA. In that vane I reiterate that the first and second vote getter's should be the co-chairs.

  I also believe that voting for them, the co-chairs first would allow them to do the work and organization to establish whatever type of charter/structure we should have here. With that in mind a short 6 month term for the first elected persons, with a vote of confidence or not, should be put in place.

  Eric