Re: [ga] ICANN Board unanimously approves .biz/.info/.org registry agreements by 13-0

Danny,
you have several key points in your email to Roberto. See below with some comments.

From: "Danny Younger" <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>

Roberto,

I am very concerned that the brevity of ICANN Staff
summaries has failed to do justice to significant
comments that were tendered in the expectation of
actually being read by members of the ICANN Board.

I don't share this concern. The usual way people are trying to explain something they don't like at ICANN, is to blame the staff. You make no exlusion from this rule. I haven't been able to find the real reasons so far in such claims. You also consider that there are some magic staff summaries, which are the only reading about problems discussed. In fact directors have access to a number of documents before each vote that requires knowledge of the issues discussed.

[ cut ]

This is problematic, because the lack of Board-level
transparency makes it impossible for us to know
whether the concerns of the IPC and others received a
fair hearing from members of the Board, or if instead
they were, for all practical purposes, lost within the
brevity of the Staff summary that failed to fully
detail the operational/implementational concerns that
were clearly raised by the community.

That's not a fair conclusion. The scripts from the meeting on Friday show a number of Board directors making comments on the concerns you mention. Further to that, it was not the first time to discuss that topic.

[cut]
Concerns raised have not been addressed, and they
remain unaddressed.

Actually they were addressed, but the problem is that you seem to not like the way they were addressed.

[cut]

My advice:  don't rely upon the Staff to provide
summaries.  Do the due diligence and and in the future
read every comment even if it takes a long time(you
can be sure that most active participants on the GA
list did read every comment).

That goes back to what you think generally about the ICANN staff. I don't agree with your advise. A friendlier version of your advise would have started with "don't rely ONLY upon the staff to provide summaries". By not including the word "only", you make a general statement that the staff is not good enough to provide summaries to the Board. You, and others, consider that spending half time of the directors' lives on ICANN matters, is not enough. I think that gives directors pretty good understanding of what are the different views. If the directors were reading only summaries, then they would have spent no more than 5 % of their time on ICANN issues, and not the 50 % they actually spend.

Sincerely,
Veni Markovski
http://www.veni.com

check also my blog: