Re: [ga] ICANN Board unanimously approves .biz/.info/.org registry agreements by 13-0

At 11:43 AM 09.12.2006 '?.' -0800, Karl Auerbach wrote:
I do not draw such a distinction. Whether a statement or a question, it's the same to me - both are invitations to discussion.

That's your right, Karl. For me an invitation is must include invite. If you consider an invitation when someone yells at you, that's your right, too.

Through that means - interaction, back-and-forth exchange of statements and questions - mutual comprehension can be obtained. Often disagreements come about simply because people do not use words in the same way. And from that mutual comprehension, adjustment of ideas, creation of alternatives, and closure on issues can be accomplished.

There I'd agree with you - generally. However, having a discussion with someone who enters it with an opinion that he/she has already formed, is like having an argument with a radio.

I have been appalled throughout the life of ICANN at the timidity of directors who sit there and do not use the opportunity of discussion, whether via e-mail or at meetings, to explore an issue and its solutions.

I have seen a lot of discussions, mails, documents, etc. One of the reasons today some people spent half of their time working for the public benefit as ICANN Board Directors is exactly this one - that they need to read a lot.

Of course, those of us who actually used ICANN meetings to engage in that kind of back-forth exchange had to endure the rather overt expressions of annoyance from ICANN's chairman and those directors who felt that their role was that of an honorific and not that of a well informed principal and leader.

I agree with you that this is not an honor, but an obligation and full with duties position. However, I have never used ONLY the ICANN meetings for such interaction. There are thousands of e-mails I've exchanged in the last three years on issues related to ICANN. So, it's not only the meetings :)

Sincerely,
Veni Markovski
http://www.veni.com

check also my blog: