Re: [ga] price policy

  • To: "Michael D. Palage" <Michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] price policy
  • From: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 14:09:09 -0700
  • Cc: "'elliot noss'" <enoss@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'ga'" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Tim Ruiz'" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Veni Markovski <veni@xxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Michael D. Palage wrote:

I believe there are potential TLD models on the horizon that do not
resemble anything in the marketplace today. Specifically, I believe
there are viable business models available where the registry gives the
domain name away for free. I have raised this point previously in why
there may be some instances where registrars may not be needed in some
business models.

Indeed. In my .ewe business model registrations are A) permanent, i.e. they do not expire and B) represented by a digital "bearer" certificate i.e. potentially anonymous and transferable simply through transfer of the certificate. Payments would be handed via "credit memos" from a third party, thus allowing intermediated, and perhaps anonymous, payments.

Such a system would not have a whois - it would in fact be impossible to create one. Is ICANN about to say that one can not be in the DNS business if they do not have whois? If so, there are big restraint of trade issues.

Revenue would be obtained through services (e.g. updating the addresses of one's name servers would be a service paid for on an as needed basis) rather than periodic rental.

Oh, by the way, I anticipate that a permanent registration would be on the order of $25. Various services, such as name server updates, non-repudiation of certificate transfers (could be provided by a third party), and other aspects (such as requesting that the name be withdrawn from the zone file, but not released) would cost a few dollars each.

The removal of a layer of registrars, periodic renew, transfer, drop polling, and whois facilities would vastly reduce the front-office costs so that the life-cycle costs would be very low and which could be passed through to the buyer who, in turn, would be relieved of the risk and cost of forgetting to renew the name every few years.

Oh yes, and I would not require one to adhere to the UDRP. Again, if ICANN wants to make its private law a requirement of entering the marketplace there would be some serious restraint of trade issues.

I would, of course, operate the name servers in accord with widely accepted written internet technical practices and would most certainly abide by any orders from courts of competent jurisdiction.

But I do not believe that ICANN would permit .ewe because it crosses so many of ICANN's non-technical taboos.

		--karl--