RE: [ga] price policy

  • To: "'elliot noss'" <enoss@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'ga'" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Tim Ruiz'" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] price policy
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <Michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 12:48:53 -0400
  • Cc: "Veni Markovski" <veni@xxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Veni/Elliot/Time:

Thanks for your individual contributions and hopefully my comments will
be viewed as constructive.

During my term Registrar Chair I was always sensitive to perceived
anti-trust issues, and arranged to have an anti-trust attorney speak to
the constituency during our Dulles meeting. The one phrase that has been
etched in my mind about potential anti-trust pitfalls was the following:
more stuff; better stuff and cheaper stuff.

I believe there are potential TLD models on the horizon that do not
resemble anything in the marketplace today. Specifically, I believe
there are viable business models available where the registry gives the
domain name away for free. I have raised this point previously in why
there may be some instances where registrars may not be needed in some
business models.

By imposing minimum pricing levels on registry services that places
ICANN in a very awkward position. So therefore I agree with Elliot that
this question does lead itself to a simple answer of no.

Best regards,

Michael