RE: [ga] 225 names deleted (and no registrar data escrow)

  • To: tim.cole@xxxxxxxxx, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] 225 names deleted (and no registrar data escrow)
  • From: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 08:12:24 -0700
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

with the provision in the accreditation agreement, particularly where
it requires ICANN to be party to the escrow agreement. That's not to
say that registrars are not escrowing data in some manner&nbsp;at all.
We do, and I have no doubt many others do as well.<BR></div>
<DIV id=wmMessageComp name="wmMessageComp"><BR><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 8px; MARGIN-LEFT: 8px; BORDER-LEFT:
blue 2px solid">-------- Original Message --------<BR>Subject: RE: [ga]
225 names deleted (and no registrar data escrow)<BR>From: Tim Ruiz
&lt;tim@xxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Date: Sun, September 10, 2006 10:07
am<BR>To: Danny Younger &lt;dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Cc:
tim.cole@xxxxxxxxx, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<BR><BR>
<DIV>Hi Danny,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Just an FYI, there has been some work done over the last few
months&nbsp;towards getting the escrow provision enforced. It is moving
slow, it is overdue, and there probably won't be widespread compliance
until some time into next year.&nbsp;You're certainly right to be
concerned but wanted to let you know it is at least being
pursued.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><BR>Tim Ruiz<BR>GoDaddy.com</DIV>
<DIV id=wmMessageComp name="wmMessageComp"><BR><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 8px; MARGIN-LEFT: 8px; BORDER-LEFT:
blue 2px solid">-------- Original Message --------<BR>Subject: [ga] 225
names deleted (and no registrar data escrow)<BR>From: Danny Younger
&lt;dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Date: Fri, September 08, 2006 2:07
pm<BR>To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<BR>Cc: tim.cole@xxxxxxxxx<BR><BR>"Owen
Borseth of Domainsite [at] IDNForums: <BR><BR>First, the issue is not
related to any kind of<BR>hardware failure, system failure, or data
loss. The<BR>reason the domain names were deleted was due
to<BR>employee error and only affected a limited number of<BR>domain
names registered on 2006-08-29 or 2006-08-30,<BR>depending on your time
zone. The affected registrars<BR>were Spot Domain LLC, Name.com LLC, and
Name.net LLC.<BR>225 domains got deleted and 216 have been restored
to<BR>date. There are 9 domains that we have not been able<BR>to get
back ...
"<BR><BR>http://www.domaineditorial.com/archives/2006/09/07/human-error-accidentally-deletes-225-names/<BR><BR>We
all know that almost none of the registrars have<BR>escrowed their data
and that ICANN has routinely<BR>overlooked this ongoing breach of
contract. &nbsp;At issue<BR>is what will be done about the
situation...<BR><BR>The current ICANN Operating Plan
states:<BR>"Develop a registrar data escrow program in<BR>collaboration
with the registrar community. Install<BR>and operate the infrastructure
needed to escrow data<BR>or contract with an outside entity to
provide<BR>technical infrastructure. Create a process for<BR>approving
third-party data escrow service providers<BR>and verifying compliance
with ICANN's data escrow<BR>policies and procedures. &nbsp;Establish
registrar/ICANN<BR>team to develop program. &nbsp;Locate qualified
third-party<BR>escrow provider. &nbsp;Publish timetable for
full<BR>implementation."<BR><BR>This program (#1h) is under the
auspices of the<BR>registrar liaison. &nbsp;<BR><BR>It would be nice to
know when efforts will commence to<BR>inaugurate this program.
&nbsp;Perhaps the registrar<BR>liaison can offer some
You Yahoo!?<BR>Tired of spam? &nbsp;Yahoo! Mail has the best spam
protection around <BR>http://mail.yahoo.com
</BLOCKQUOTE></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV>