Re: [ga] significant user representation

  • To: Thomas Narten <narten@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] significant user representation
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 17:58:01 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Alright Mr. Narten,

  I call your bluff. If you get five new people to contribute to this list three times each, I will stop writing here for a month. I am certainly one of a hand full of regular critical posters.

  Your sociological observation here is untrue over the last 5 years of this list. In fact time and time again the higher the rancor the higher the amount of and quality of participation.

  There is another unwritten rule here; don't make false assumptions. Read the record or ask anyone who has been here as long as i.

Thomas Narten <narten@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Let me second Chuck's underlying point here. Putting words in people's
mouths, selectively (mis)quoting them, adding innuendos,
(mis)speculating underlying motivations, etc., is one reason that the
signal-to-noise ratio on this list is so low and that people that
arguably should be posting simply don't bother.

I've been told by many that I'm wasting my time trying to engage this
list in a constructive dialog, given the normal behavior of a number
of regular posters. And there are individuals I would like to see
participating here that won't bother given the debating tactics that
some use.

You want the board or other interested parties to have a dialog here?
Then I'd suggest treating people with respect and professionally and
engaging them honestly with a real goal of searching for consensus,
and increasing the overall level of shared understanding in this
space.

Thomas