Re: [ga] Board Meeting on .biz, .info, .org contracts advanced by one week

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Board Meeting on .biz, .info, .org contracts advanced by one week
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 23:36:51 -0700
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny and all,

  Well from my and all of our members view, ICANN has never
equated to the public's best interest, is it seemingly has from
the beginning regarded the public, registrants and users, as not
knowing what their best interest's are nor cared about openly
soliciting same.

Danny Younger wrote:

> Re:  "There were many comments received from the public
> comment period, and they need to be sorted through."
>
> During the prior discussions on the proposed .com agreement ICANN staff provided (1) a Summary of Comments Regarding the Proposed .com Agreement (2) an Analysis of Public Comment.
>
> On this occasion, the ICANN Staff has provided neither for public scrutiny prior to initial Board deliberations.  This raises several issues:
>
> Transparency -- have such documents been prepared for the Board but not for public consumption?  If so, how may we be assured that positions have not been misrepresented?  Many will recall this quote from the earlier "analysis":  "Regarding registrants, there was some expression that there might be
> some negative effects due to the potential price increases, but, the majority across
> constituencies expressed that the increase in cost was negligible when compared to the
> value of a domain name registration."
>
> Management -- If no such documents have been prepared, then at issue are the performance expectations set for ICANN employees.
>
> Ultimately, we must ask ourselves "Why does there continue to be such a disconnect between the positions negotiated by ICANN's staff and the point of view of the general public as expressed in numerous public comment periods?  Why does ICANN Staff get it wrong so often?  Have we arrived at a point where what is in ICANN's best interest no longer equates with the public's best interest?

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827