Re: [ga] Tiered (Variable) Pricing

  • To: Paul Stahura <stahura@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Tiered (Variable) Pricing
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 21:42:48 -0700
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Paul  and all,

  None of your list of lessons learned were really lessons learned
simply because I and many others when these sTLD's were being
considered were by ever considered viable or were going to
"work out".  The only one that  was broadly considered that
would "work out" was the .WEB gTLD.  And ICANN rejected
it because of personal conflicts with Chris Ambler and some
ICANN staff.

  Further, what does any of this have to do with Tiered (Variable)
Pricing?

  Further still, I have always agreed that any Registry should be
able to act as it's own Registrar, but must not restrict other
Registrar's from registering in any TLD name space.  However
any TLD Registry should have a means by which it can address
abusive Registrar's as many of us have seen with Register.com,
for instance.  Also any Registrar should have a means by which
it can address abusive Registry behavior.

Paul Stahura wrote:

>    I agree we've learned a lot since back then, but in some sense I
> also
> think we've seemed to have learned nothing.
>
> Did we really learn that .areo and .museum would not work out, or did
> we
> really already know/suspect that?
>
> Agreed, that each person has their own definition of "work out", but I
>
> think that (what is a successful TLD) is just another thing, after all
>
> these experimental (in my opinion) TLDs, that we didn't learn and
> still
> don't know.
>

> In my mind, .com is the most successful TLD, followed by .net, .org,
> and
> some country code TLDs, and maybe one from the first round.
>
> I think that is obvious, though you can say ".museum" satisfies the
> needs of its internet community, and I would agree with you.
>
> But what is the size of that community compared to the entire
> internet?
> not much.
>
> So, what do these successful TLDs have in common?  Some are
> for-profit,
> and some are not, so that isn't it.  Some are RRP some are EPP, that's
>
> isn't it. Some are US-based, some are not.  One is third-level.  Some
> are newer some are older.
>
> Hmmm.... what can it be?
>
> They are all open, not "sponsored" or "restricted".
>
> OPEN.
>
> That's one thing we've learned.
>
> It seems to me that the "sponsored" and "restricted" (I call them
> "hobbled") TLDs need the most "flexibility" as you call it, tweaking,
> changes, etc post root-insertion.
>
> That's another thing we've learned.
>
> Why do we keep doing those kind? Because for some reason, so far, in
> order to get in the root, you need to propose a "hobbled" TLD (such as
>
> one for a micro-community).
>
> That's a third thing we've learned.
>
> Then we all are so surprised when these TLDs say they need
> flexibility,
> changes (like not separating registry and registrar), whatever, in
> order
> to "better serve their community".
>
> I think even they (the "sponsors") didn't learn that... My guess is
> that
> they already knew, or at least suspected, it.
>

> But anyway....
>
> I'm curious as to which registries those quotes are from.
>
> I know for sure that more than a few large registrars are extremely
> interested in "call-center-intensive market" contrary to the 2nd
> quote.
>
> Look at the call center size of GoDaddy, register.com and Network
> Solutions.
>

> Also, please explain further the first right of refusal for registrars
>
> you mention below.

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827