RE: [ga] Tiered (Variable) Pricing

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Paul Stahura" <stahura@xxxxxxxx>, "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Tiered (Variable) Pricing
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 14:33:49 -0400
  • Cc: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Karl Auerbach" <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Here is some additional feedback from another small sTLD that I think is
relevant.

"Registrar's are in the business of selling names and services but they
generally have no contact points in the various communities which means
they cannot promote the value of a specific domain. Nor do they really
care if (members of a specific community) register a domain. However,
(the sponsor of an sTLD) wants the community to use the Internet to
build support for (their) specific business model so the (sponsor has) a
vested interest in specifically selling (the sTLD). The registrar is
just happy to sell any domain name and typically hopes to make money
selling services (as the market has evolved.)  We can provide some
services to our community directly but for other issues they must go
through their registrar. So the level of service is dependent on the
registrar rather than being something that could be supported in a more
standard way by a registry. The problem is that most registrants just
deal with the registrar and have little contact with the registry. If it
was a "one-stop shop" then we could ensure that all registrants could be
aware of special offers that the registry might offer from time to time.
Right now, most of our registrars don't bother because they don't have
enough registrations to make it worth their while. For instance, even
though we have started offering 1-year registrations, most of our
registrars are not offering that new feature.

"An example of a service we do offer is our directory of
names/businesses. This is something only the registry can actually offer
as it is across all registrars. But it certainly is not promoted as a
benefit on most of the registrar sites. A registrant would not
necessarily know that this was a benefit of a (our) domain. If we were a
"registrar," we could make sure that this was clear to our registrants
and even provide a free activation promotion if we wanted to so they
could automatically get on the directory. That is not an option for us
now.

"I think the point we can try to make is that this could be an option
for registries - perhaps those below a certain threshold level of
registrations. And if registries would prefer to make use of the
registrar network, that would also be encouraged."

Chuck Gomes
VeriSign Information Services