RE: [ga] Tiered (Variable) Pricing

  • To: "Paul Stahura" <stahura@xxxxxxxx>, "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Tiered (Variable) Pricing
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 11:34:56 -0400
  • Cc: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Karl Auerbach" <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Paul,

Thanks for participating in the discussion.

The fact that the small sTLDs knew they would have to work through
registrars when they signed up does not mean that the required
distribution model is the best one in all cases.  We have learned a lot
since that requirement was put in place.

Also, as someone else pointed out on this list ( I think it may have
been Mike Palage), not all TLDs need to be for-profit businesses.  There
is nothing wrong with a gTLD designed to meet the needs of a specific
community.  Should such proposals be denied because they aren't a viable
business in the big corporate world?

Because I do not have first hand information about the business
operations of the small sTLDs, I soliticed input from them.  Here are a
couple points they communicated to me that I think are worthy of
consideration.

". . we have a small number of registrars (had five now may getting to
about 8) there can be hardly talk about competition, particularly if one
registrar has a majority of names in the TLD anyway. The registrars for
the most part sit and wait for business to come to them, so, this model
converts sponsorship or any start up TLD registry into a charity
organisation set up to support registrars eating up resources that could
be better used for the benefit of those who use Internet."

"we are getting many registrant (or pre-registrant) queries about cheap
or simple "starter" packages for people and SOHO that have never been in
the internet before; many (registrars) are not interested in such
call-center-intensive market but registries like (ours), being a
non-profit foundation, is indeed interested as one of our goals is to
expand the use and knowledge of advanced (beyond email and web) internet
tools (upload content, create sites, etc) as a way to develop the
information society."

On the latter point, I know that many registrars offer "start-up"
services, but if those registrars do not elect to support a given TLD,
then that makes it more difficult for registrants in that TLD.

No, I am not saying that these registries would be "killing it" if they
were allowed to be a registrar, nor am I saying that they would stop
using the registrars that are currently offering their TLD.  I suspect
that these organizations probably don't even have a goal of "killing it"
as you express it.  But they would like to maximize the service provided
for members of their unique community.  Is that unreasonable?

Why can't constructive discussions about the distribution model happen?
Why are registrars in general opposed to this?  The RyC has suggested
such options as a first right of refusal for registrars?  We are not
trying to limit registrar opportunities.  But in cases where registrars
elect not to provide much support, shouldn't the sponsors be given some
flexibility to better meet their community member needs?

Chuck Gomes
VeriSign Information Services