Re: [ga] Tiered (Variable) Pricing

  • To: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Tiered (Variable) Pricing
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 22:17:56 -0700
  • Cc: Paul Stahura <stahura@xxxxxxxx>, "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Karl and all,

  My only question to you Karl is; how can a proposed new
 gTLD be definitely determined to be "that *really* compete
against one another for new customers?"

Karl Auerbach wrote:

> Paul Stahura wrote:
> > Chuck, they (these small TLD registries) knew that when they signed up.
>
> There's been a slow change in the way we perceive TLDs, registries, and
> registrars.
>
> Would it be wrong to say that back in 1997 most of us had the idea that
> for each TLD there would be a centralized database function, which we
> called "registry", that would be operated in some sort of disinterested
> manner to support a ring of "registrars" which would embody the real
> business of vending domain names?
>
> Why did we think that that was the only way this could be done?  I don't
> remember.  Was it simply one of those beliefs that was accepted simply
> because it was believed (i.e. a dogma.)
>
> Personally, with today's eyes, I don't see anything wrong with a
> vertically integrated TLD, i.e. one that runs its entire operation from
> TLD name servers, to zone file generation, to customer service, all with
> its own hands.
>
> Nor, again with today's eyes, do I see anything wrong with a TLD that
> has organized itself so that at the center there is this disinterested
> registry that operates only on a cost-recovery basis, that interacts
> with the end-customers only via a set of qualified intermediary registrars.
>
> Perhaps we entered these domain wars (it's been more than a decade now)
> with an an attitude that had too many parts from the "Age of Aquarius"
> and too many hopes for "the Internet as Utopia".
>
> We all recognize the lock-in that occurs once a person or entity decides
> upon a TLD.
>
> And it seems that we have a near-perfect consensus that if we can
> achieve a vibrant marketplace of domain name products that customers
> will be able to find vendors who are willing to sell name products with
> terms that the customers want, including long-term protections for a
> price established through the give-and-take of a competitive system.
>
> And it also seems that we have a near-perfect consensus that until that
> halcyon day arrives that some sort of customer protections must be
> provided by external means, such as ICANN.  (And indeed, even after the
> arrival of the vibrant marketplace, protections ought to be continued
> for the already locked-in customers.)
>
> The trouble is that this grand event, the birth of the vibrant domain
> name marketplace, is fading ever further into the future.
>
> Why do I say this even as the new TLD policies are being hammered out?
>
> Because those new TLD policies are being created on the flawed
> neo-Utopian ideas that were so wrong a decade ago.
>
> I mentioned J.D. Rockefeller the other day.  His approach was not unlike
> that we are envisioning for TLDs - a preconceived structure of
> production, distribution, and sales.  In his case it was the structure
> of accumulation and transport of crude petroleum, refining, and product
> distribution.  In ICANN/TLDs it is the structure of registries,
> [...]

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827