Re: [ga] Tiered (Variable) Pricing

Tim and all,

  I fully agree with your suggestion, Tim.  Many more gTLD's are
needed before this problem can be hashed out.  As ICANN has
seen fit to be reluctant to have an open introduction of new
gTLD's, it seems to me that these registry proposals are putting
the cart before the horse and also pricing any new gTLD introduction
far to high, which seems to me to be a restraint of trade as Karl
has many times suggested.

Tim Ruiz wrote:

> > I believe what Chuck is trying to get
> > at here is that he sees no reason why
> > Registries cannot also sell Domain
> > names themselves.
>
> Understood Jeff. But since we currently are stuck with a limited field
> of gTLDs that will apparently soon have no price controls what do you
> think will happen to competition if we also allow registries to be
> their own registrar? It's the registry/registrar system that accounts
> in large part for the existing competition and lower prices.
>
> I think we need to first get new gTLDs introduced at more than the
> current trickle, and see how the price control issue works out before a
> truly informed decision can be made about channging the registrar
> requirement.
>
> Tim

   Abraham Lincoln