RE: [ga] The End of Domain Tasting and its Consequences

At 01:45 25/08/2006, sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Michael D. Palage wrote:

> I am not asking you to trust either my or Vint's judgment/opinion.
> Instead I would ask you to place your trust on two mechanisms. First is
> in the market to resolve pricing fluctuations /variations over the long
> term. Many people have talked about what if VeriSign was to charge
> Google 1 million dollars for google.com. Assuming that VeriSign somehow
> put forth a registry service pricing model that passed both ICANN and
> government approval, here is likely what would happen in my humble
> opinion. Google would pay the money, and would simultaneously submit an
> application for a new .GOOGLE or .G TLD to ICANN. Then guess how much
> money VeriSign makes in year two of the million dollar pricing model?

I am afraid this is not the way Google would proceed. They would hire a few key people from Verisign and tell them to buy Verisign. The next year they would introduce a transparent rate related to the number of querries to Verisign nameserves with a free bundle service including domain name + google ads + an e-gloo private server under WIndows. A few months later on they will introduce a "gloobal pay" service verified through their DNS. Then a gmail for all no spam service (if you spam you lose your gmailbox).

Michael, that may be just fine for Google, but what about the rest of the registrant universe?

We would all be de facto switched from AmerICANN's doodlenet to Big Brother Google's booblenet (they claim booble.com since 1/28/04). Imitating a famous French verse: "... and booblenet will live the time that bubbles live"... and we will all then be in googly gloomy mood.
jfc