RE: [ga] The End of Domain Tasting and its Consequences

  • To: "Michael D. Palage" <Michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] The End of Domain Tasting and its Consequences
  • From: sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 16:45:58 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "'Thomas Narten'" <narten@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Michael D. Palage wrote:

> I am not asking you to trust either my or Vint's judgment/opinion.
> Instead I would ask you to place your trust on two mechanisms. First is
> in the market to resolve pricing fluctuations /variations over the long
> term. Many people have talked about what if VeriSign was to charge
> Google 1 million dollars for google.com. Assuming that VeriSign somehow
> put forth a registry service pricing model that passed both ICANN and
> government approval, here is likely what would happen in my humble
> opinion. Google would pay the money, and would simultaneously submit an
> application for a new .GOOGLE or .G TLD to ICANN. Then guess how much
> money VeriSign makes in year two of the million dollar pricing model?

Michael, that may be just fine for Google, but what about the rest of the
registrant universe?  George is correct in expressing alarm at the
possibility for such abuse; the registrars/registries have already shown
themselves to be grasping in their approach to the industry... they'll
take whatever they can get and we both (all) know that.  What safeguards,
aside from the free market and new gTLD applications (with their
ridiculously high application fee and low chance of cuccess) do you
envision for the individuals/companies who make up the vast majority of
the DNS?

Sotiris Sotiropoulos