Re: [ga] The End of Domain Tasting and its Consequences

  • To: Thomas Narten <narten@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] The End of Domain Tasting and its Consequences
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:31:56 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, vint@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thomas,

I'm happy to concede the point that contract language
may be challenged.  However, I have also noted that
the current contract requirements to abide by a
"Procedure for Subsequent Agreement" in the .com,
.biz, .info and .org contracts have not been honored,
and that the Community stands outside the process as a
third-party beneficiary to these agreements with no
rights under law.

Another area of concern pertains to the actual impact
of equal nondiscriminatory access to registry traffic
data on nonexistent domain names.  I can envision 800+
registrars simultaneously pounding on a registry's
system in order to secure the registration of millions
of typosquatting domains.  I would ask if the
registries are sufficiently robust to handle such an
event.

Unfortunately, we may not get the answer to this
question since the above-cited four registries have
chosen not to honor their obligation to provide a
detailed report of the Registry Operator's operation
of the Registry TLD as part of the Renewal Proposal
that they were supposed to provide to the Community.

I had hoped that Vint, Veni or John Jeffries would get
back to us with an update on this issue, but thus far
we have heard nothing.