RE: [ga] The Future of Domain Registry Pricing, if left uncapped

  • To: "Karl Auerbach" <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Veni Markovski" <veni@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] The Future of Domain Registry Pricing, if left uncapped
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 08:46:00 -0400
  • Cc: "George Kirikos" <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Karl,

I disagree with you that "the internet user has no effective voice in
ICANN".  In my humble opinion, I think they have a very effective voice
through their buying choices.  Certainly in the past that was not the
case because there were not many choices, but that has changed
considerably and hopefully will change even more going forward.

I have been one of those who have always supported user representation
in ICANN policy making processes and I still believe it's all about the
users, but I have come to the conclusion that it may be impossible to
ever adequately represent users.  Someone who I respect a lot made the
observation that Internet users are much too diverse and widespread
around the world to ever be represented in any effective manner through
organizational processes.  That does not mean that efforts should cease
to do so, but whatever actions are taken in that regard should always be
recognized in the context of their real limitations.

I strongly believe that, aside from ensuring security and stability, the
most important thing that ICANN (the Board, ICANN staff, the SO's, the
advisory committees, the users) can do is to continually work toward
providing users more choices and then let them speak through their
buying choices.

Chuck Gomes
VeriSign Information Services