Re: [ga] The Future of Domain Registry Pricing, if left uncapped

At 09:49 PM 08.8.2006 '?.' -0700, George Kirikos wrote:
I have no desire to run for the Board. I can be far more effective on
the outside, neutral and untainted, and not associated with the
continual failures of the Board.

Success has many fathers, failure - only one, as we say in Bulgaria. So, you are no exception from the rule. But I think you have fundamental errors in your statement. And I am sure you can find them easily.

It's unclear one can even make any
difference as part of the Board -- Michael Palage saw better
possibilities outside of it.

I can't speak for Mike, and I am wondering what gives you the right to speak on his behalf? Why not consider other possibilities for his desire to leave? Oh, yes, I know why - because they will not suit your purpose.

Even Esther Dyson, a past president of ICANN, distanced herself from
its failures:

And again, quoting a sentence out of the context, and esp. from these two sources, is not a good way to make a point. If you want to make a point, either read the whole article, or find alternative sources. Your quotes lead to a conclusion that you are reading only one newspaper, and trust all written there?

pro-competitive. I wrote that in my prior message to you, which you're
replying to, but which you've conveniently failed to address:

Oh, not, I am not failing. There are two options: a) I am busy, or b) I haven't read it.

Was ICANN lying to the court that price caps are considered
pro-competitve? Or were they telling the truth?

Again, questions which result in you expecting an ICANN position, should be addressed to the President, or the Chair.

If they were telling
the truth, why is ICANN even putting forth for comment proposed
contracts that are anti-competitive, by eliminating all price caps on
.biz/org/info? Try to answer these questions next time, even if they
make you uncomfortable. Ignoring them again just makes you look weak.

Your logic is simple: if I tell Veni he will look weak, he has to respond.
You forget several things: Why do you think I'd be interested in looking strong in your eyes? Why do you thik that my pride will let me forget that these are questions which are not for me? You do not ask Veni Markovski as a lawyer (thanks for searching), but you ask me to speak on behalf of ICANN. That will not happen.
And also, let's not forget that a wrong question leads to a wrong answer.

> I still don't understand - why do you think the registrants, the
> normal registrants, who pay today between $ 10 and $ 35 / year, would
> care about what you care? Somehow I don't see this as a concern. I
> see other items, which you are not covering. Why?

Perhaps because you have your eyes closed,  and are blind to their
concerns? It's hard to see what normal registrants want, when one isn't
talking to them and never sees them.

Oh, you mean I am not talking to you, and I haven't seen you. It's quite easy to say that. And quite wrong, in its foundations.

the market was opened to competition, Network Solutions had a 100%
market share initially, at $35/yr for a domain name registration. Yet,
now in 2006, GoDaddy is *twice* the size of Network Solutions, measured
by the number of registrations:

Oh, really? And how much do they charge today? In "your" world, why NS is still charging $ 35, and why GoDaddy is chargin $ 8.95 for domain?

Customers choose GoDaddy because they offer *value*, through lower
price combined with good service.

Customers choose GoDaddy, and they pay $ 8.95, but they also choose NS for $ 35. It's complitely irelevant for our discussion how many customers choose one or the other.

There are a lot more domains
registered today because of lower prices. Lower prices are repeatedly
cited by ICANN in testimonies before Congress as one of its successes.
Yet, you say price doesn't matter.

Why are you pretending you don't understand? Is it because you want just to make your point, and you hope that people would not read my earlier posting? It becomes like a game - I write, you make your points with "intepreting" what I said. Read again what I said. Than change your statements accordingly.

Folks will drive across town to save on
gasoline or other expenses.

Oh, really? Let's see now your logic.
Folks will do that? They will spend 4 hours driving, spending so much gas as to cut the savings from buying the cheaper one. Folks may do that. But if they do that all the time, why have gas stations with higher prices? Why your local Deli sells the Diet Pepsi at $ 2 / 2 L. bottle, and the bigger shops sell it at $ 1.40. Yet, they both are existing, and making money. Are you an economist? Or psychologist? Have you professionally studied markets and customers' behaviour?

Folks will change registrars to save money.

I've seen folks changin gas stations and shops to save time. From what you say, you talk abou the folks, who have time, but not have money. And, as we see from my examples above, there are also people who save time, and are willing to spend some more money for that.

> George, why today there are companies that charge more than the $ 6?
> Will they increase their prices, if VeriSign increased their price,
> or they will keep the price, and lower their profit? You care about
> registrants, you say. I do, too. But for the normal registrants, not
> for the commercial ones. You say you care about registrants, but do
> you believe they will be influenced by price increase? Or by new
> TLDs? Why not use the ccTLDs?

Your "solution" is for people who already have established their
presence on the internet is to switch to a different TLD, or a ccTLD?

Will you be nice enough to point me how did you reach from my words to your conclusions? I somehow don't see the link. And I think it's not on purpose that you've made it on your own.

You've got be kidding. This is demonstrative of how out of touch with
reality you truly are.

No, what you say just demonstrates that I am not part of your "reality". Perhaps Isaak Asimov's books can help you there.

I'm on the side of registrants who *DON'T* want
to change their domain names.

So, why should they?

switch to a different domain and start over from scratch. I truly
wonder what planet you are on when you, as a BOARD member would suggest
they should switch to other TLDs, and abandon their existing domains.

I think you should be looking more positively on life in general, and on my postings in particular. That may help you get away from your obsession about the ICANN Board, with people who have lost connection with reality, etc... You sound like an evil fairytale.

> >In the real world, to gain something, you typically have to give up > >something. That's what a negotiation involves. Yet, what have the > >registries given up, so that consumers can gain? Nada. > > I still don't understand - the consumers would have gained what? What > did they gain from the .ORG or .NET bids?

Prices were bid down in the .net bid, from $6/yr to $4.25/yr. However,
then ICANN erased that "victory", by giving presumptive renewal in .net
and allowing price increases, that were not in the original tender! Ask

Oh, I see... Then ICANN has raised the price to $ 6 again, immediately, and that had no effect on the end-users prices... I see what you mean - if that's what you meant?

rate of inflation, in an environment where technology costs are
FALLING. Most registrars are not charging $35, because competition has
driven prices a lot closer to $6 than to $35.

So, you are still not responding to what I asked. If what you say is correct, then Network Solutions would have stopped to exist. Why are they still chargin $ 35. Why is Tucows charging more than GoDaddy? How could they actually live?

You and I obviously have different agendas. I'm for the consumer,
fighting to protect them from monopolist registries. What are you
fighting for?

You live in a world where people fight. I live in a world where people cooperate for the public benefit. That explains why you are misinterpreting my words, too. Because you want to adjust them to your world. :-)

increases, were you thinking of the consumers who would be paying those
higher prices?

What I was thinking is well reflected in the minutes from the meetings. Actually that's one thing that the Board does now, too - scripts, minutes, public meetings, etc. The funny thing is that you ask so many questions, and they are all leading. Why, George? Why do you ask leading questions? Why don't you try to ask some more balanced, peaceful questions, which are looking towards the positive sides of life?

veni