Re: [ga] Domain Theft

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Domain Theft
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 09:01:28 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: vint@xxxxxxxxxx, mike@xxxxxxxxxx, scrawford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Well done Danny,

  Allow me to combine your two thoughts into the idea that the two concepts should flow evenly - hopefully downhill.

  It is quite common in our modern experience that some regulatory/administrative type agency control and direct activities within a given economic sector.

  Normally when this type of malfeasance occurs there are administrative remedies available to an agrieved party. These must be spelled out, accessible and provide reasonably swift remedy at lower overall costs. ICANN does not appear to have a compliance section typical of those required by various adminstrative relief acts.
  (kind of an assurance that the agency will govern by law and not by caveat).

  OTOH some economic areas only have standard making orgs and businesses like the UBC and/or United Laboratories. This leaves it to codified laws and common law to allow people to address their grievances. I have long argued that ICANN is simply a standard setting coordinating body. One could argue that even hearing complaints of this type would be quite an expansion of their mandate. If the author of this grievance is harmed one bit by delay or missapropriation of priviledged matter and ICANN exceeded their regulatory mandate and that is the cause of harm - woe be it to the BOD member who interfered.

  We must be ever cognizant of the difference between prevention of harm and remedying a wrong. A government and Registry liason position is very different than an ALJ, Administrative Law Judge.

  So, i am happy that this author of complaint is getting some action. But i must say it is probably innappropriate help, if you keep your eye on the ball.

Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Eric,

Clearly we won't know details until later... perhaps
the author took out a ten-year registration in '97 and
it lapsed. Who knows? Whatever the case, Board
members have been responsive and I'm told that NSI is
engaged in attending to this matter.

On a related note, I continue to find it troubling
that members of the public have a hard time navigating
through the ICANN website in order to find an
appropriate place to post their serious concerns.

http://forum.icann.org/lists/new-gtlds-pdp-comments/msg00027.html