Re: [ga] lawyers

Jefsey and all former DNS GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

It is clear that from Jefsey's and Joop's comments and the tone of same,
that their anti american tendencies are clear, but misrepresent the
actual
facts and/or at least are a personal view of the events and issues
regarding
ICANN's  BoD makeup which is truly international.  The fact that these
BoD members were not elected by stakeholders/users does indicate
.  error in judgment on the part of DOC/NTIA.  None the less these
BoD members represent BoD seats and as such, have a responsibility
that is either implied or actual to the stakeholders/users of the
countries
in which they are natives of as well as the stakeholders/users as a whole

regardless of national origin.

Tunis proved and settled nothing and mostly served as a sounding
board for grievances that are in some instances legitimate and in others
are not.  So the circle has been formed yet again, the entrenchment
of positions remains by in large, the same.

It seems these days that anti-americanism has become popular
sport for media and political types with little substance but with
considerable disturbance.  Such is not very productive if their
arguments and issues are not substantive and addressed in
a manner that provides for arriving at solutions.  Yet, ICANN
has been so entrenched in it's direction as to ignore many of
what it knows are issues that need resolution, not more continued
debate and discussion.  The time is at least now, if not already
gone to address and implement necessary changes in how ICANN
works and whom it works for.

M. Morfin wrote:

> At 09:12 10/01/2006, Joop Teernstra wrote:
> >Maybe I'm naive, but I believe that the Clinton administration,
> >possibly because it did not foresee the speedy growth in
> >importance-for-everything of the Internet,  was genuinely interested
> >in devolving things like the IANA function out of its own hands and
> >into the hands of an industry-led cabal in which it would retain
> >sufficient influence. It was both in the Administration's and
> >ICANN's interest to leave the question of where the buck ultimately
> >stops as unanswered as possible.
>
> Joop,
> you are not naive. You are not considering the national interests.
> The Internet is the national packet switch network the USA missed. It
> was established after the deregulation and benefited from the removal
> of the national protections offered by the monopolies, as US trade
> first  benefited from the drop of customs rights. Because the USA
> were a key piece of the world jigsaw. The difference between the
> Democrat and Republican administration over international relations
> and protectionism is immemorial. They both aim at the best US
> interest in very similar ways under two similar flavors.
>
> Tunis clarified the things. The Internationalized Internet is the US
> Global network, under the control of the USG through ICANN. RFC 3935
> is clear about this which defines the role of the IETF. The Internet
> is defined in the same way as by 47 USC 230 (f)(1) (the digital
> ecosystem) and the role of the IETF is to "influence" those who
> "design, use, manage" it. The Tunis deal gives the world and the USA
> five, and more probably ten, years to converge their vision into a
> Global Multinational System concatenating all the private, national,
> regional, corporate, etc. networks through the International Network
> to be discussed by the IGF. This results from the acknowledgment that
> the US part is not anymore the core of the world jigsaw.
>
> Will this succeed? I do not know. But it has the merit to clearly
> state that ICANN is an US International Agency in charge of an
> International US System. That ICANN is welcome to share into the
> IGF.  That we will see progressively the emergence of several
> International National Network Systems. If they merge into a single
> International Network we will have cross-connectivity, otherwise we
> will have balkanization.
>
> IMHO the only way we can avoid balkanization is to accept that the
> core of the network is not anymore the USA, but also not anymore the
> other States, but the user. A really long way to go for the IAB/IETF,
> for ICANN and work ahead for developers.
>
> jfc

"Obediance of the law is the greatest freedom" -
   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827